Career highlights and milestones
Rick Tabaracci - Calgary Flames
Born: Toronto, ON
Date: Jan. 2/69
Acquired: Trade from Tampa Bay, Jun 21, 1997
Tabby through the years
(l to r)Cornwall Royals 88-89, Winnipeg Jets 90-91, Washington Capitals 93-94, Washington Capitals 94-95, Calgary Flames 95-96
- Drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the second round, 27th overall, in the 1987 Entry Draft.
- Played only one game for the Pens (Oct 21, 1988, vs the New Jersey Devils) before being traded to the Winnipeg Jets on June 17, 1989 along with Randy Cunneyworth and Dave McIlwain in exchange for Randy Gilhen, Jim Kyte, and Andrew McBain.
- Traded to the Washington Capitals on Mar 22, 1993, for Jim Hrivnak and Washington's 1993 second round choice.
- Traded to the Calgary Flames on April 7, 1995 (trade deadline) for a 1995 fifth round draft choice.
- Traded to the Tampa Bay Lightning on Nov 19, 1996 in exchange for Aaron Gavey.
- Re-aquired by the Calgary Flames on June 21, 1997 (Draft day) for a 1998 fourth round draft pick.
- Traded to the Washington Capitals on August 7, 1998 for future considerations.
Career Highlights and Milestones
96-97 was a great season for Tabby:
Other career highlights:
- Set career high for wins in 96-97 (22) (previous was 19 in 95-96)
- Set career high for games played in 96-97 (62) (previous was 43 in 95-96)
- Set career high for shutouts in 96-97 (5) (previous was 3 in 95-96)
- Was eighth overall in 96-97 for shutouts!
- Set career high for consectutive starts in 96-97
- Second lowest GAA of his career in 96-97 (2.70) (lowest was 2.11 in 94-95)
- Lowest Flames career GAA (2.82) in Flames history.
- Career playoff record (1.88) is a Flames franchise record
- Was nominated for the King Clancy trophy in 93-94.
- Was only the second goalie drafted in the 1987 Entry draft
- Was selected to the OHL All-Star teams in 87-88 (First Team) and 88-89 (Second Team)
- 12 wins away from 100 NHL wins
- 43 games away from 200 NHL games
Rick Tabaracci is engaged to Lana Buchberger (former Miss Canada and sister of Edmonton Oiler captain Kelly Buchberger). He lives in Calgary in the off-season with his coon-hound "Rommel". He is an avid golfer, and "swears if he wasn't playing hockey his career would be a professional golfer". (Flames Wives Cookbook). He also enjoys waterskiing, motorcycles and classic cars.
"Tabby faves" according to the Sun and Herald include:
Fave City: Chicago and Calgary
Fave Food: Veal Parmigiana
Fave Drink: All Molson's Products (Yeah Tabby, good choice!!)
Fave Car: BMW840
Fave Movie: Slap Shot
Fave Goalie: Ken Dryden
Toughest Shot: Eric Lindros
Favorite Childhood Book: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Favorite Book Read Recently: Don't stand too close to a naked man - Tim Allen
Favorite Magazine: Men's Health
Favorite Role Model: Stu Guthrie - Tier 2 Junior A Coach. Tabby also frequently mentions his parents as his role models.
[Main][Photo][Masks][News][Quotes][Blasts from the Past]
[Newspaper Articles][Poll][fans][Career and vital stats][links]